According to the results of international research, there is a need to improve participation and initiation of community changes in the field of citizenship education. It is found that the majority of students think that civic lessons are boring, overloaded with theoretical knowledge, which are quickly forgotten and lack of practical activities, while teachers lack a knowledge of how to discuss about the political situation with students, helping young people to understand the processes of political life, to encourage young people to participate actively in the organizations of civil society, forming the concept of citizenship through the practical activities.
It is recognized that one of the key success factors of civic education is creative, inspiring students and colleagues for joint activities teachers, having the support of school managers and colleagues.
Citizenship is directed to the formation of knowledge, practices and values. A Civic leader in the school is characterized by helpfulness, honesty, tolerance, civic engagement, initiative. Civic leadership in the school include:
- Support to colleagues, especially for new teachers;
- Preparation of special assignments to class for slower pupils;
- The provision of suggestions for improving the activities;
- A positive talking about school outside;
- Innovative teaching and assessment;
- Special attention to students with special needs;
- Voluntary participation in the working groups, committees;
- Intensive communication with parents, maintaining a constructive dialogue during meetings;
- Support for pupils’ activities;
Duties that surpasses the work of teachers is a fundamental element of efficiency of any school activity, has the impact for job satisfaction, achieved results and career. School manager also have the responsibility for their employees civil leadership.
The leadership of school director is a key factor in leadership development for teachers. Therefore, school managers must demonstrate the support to teachers, be honest, evaluate their work and take care of their well‐being as such behaviour would increase teachers’ willingness to behave civilly. Leaders behaviour appear to embody declared values and desired behaviour of followers, who love and trust leaders, whose behaviour is consistent with their words.
- Contract number: 2015-1-LT01-KA201-013469-932871505
- Funding Programme: Erasmus +
- Action: KA2 – Strategic Partnerships
- Nr of Participating Countries: 3
- Start date: 01.09.2015
- End date: 31.08.2017
- Status: ongoing
To educate managers of school and teachers as civic leaders, strengthening their competencies related to the students’ national and European citizenship.
ACTIVITIES & INTELLECTUAL OUTPUTS
This project will have a set of activities listed below and will produce an intellectual output – “Civic Education Model” combining different researches in 3 European countries – Italy, Lithuania and Norway.
The activities foreseen in the project are:
1. A2 Research
2. A3 Comparative analysis (based on a common questionnaire)
3. A4 Partners‘ meeting in Norway in May, 2016.
4. A5 The creation and testing of a model of Civic Leader.
5. A6 Experts‘ meeting in Italy in September, 2016.
6. A8 International seminar in October, 2016, in Italy. Duration 5 days.
7. A9 Dissemination activities on the National level
8. A10 International elections of the most civic teacher and action
9. A10 The creation of the website on the Internet
10. A11 The Final International Conference
- Lithuania: Prienai Centre of Education
- Italy: My School
- Lithuania: BRTA
- Lithuania: Prienai „Ąžuolas“ progymnasium
- Lithuania: Prienai region Skriaudžiai basic school
- Lithuania: Prienai region Išlaužas basic school
The available budget for implementation is 118.766,00 EUR
PROJECT CO-FUNDED BY